Skip to main content

Introductions

Sometimes the Internet makes me feel strange. Strange because I sometimes think that it is amazing. Amazing in that 5 years ago I would have not imagined what it does for me. It sends my emails (an I actually get a reply), it sends them fast, so fast my grandma could not understand it when I tried to explain to her.

Recently it has also debugged my Java application, umm, that was after it had taught me Java itself sometime back as well. So I feel strange, and amazed. It taught me web-design, the moment I saw that I could be good at it I stopped. It made me a few friends from countries so far away from me I cannot even afford a flight ticket. Then blogging...

I have been around for a while, and I started hearing about blogs sometime back, but me being me, I had to wait until I felt like I'm naked if I dont keep a blog. I had to wait until it was cooler to keep a blog than to google for free beer and get free software instead. So now I'm finally here, and if you ask me its still way much cooler to google than to blog. So why am I here?

Well eh, the thing is umm... Well, blogging is the future Internet, and come to think of it as well, I think, as from this moment I write, that the two best things to ever happen to the Internet are google (thank God for google), and blogs. That ofcourse excludes 1Gig free email and IRC and ...

But to be honest, I've always thought that there is already an information overload, too many things people can read, and listen, and watch and play on the Internet. So I was not too keen on the idea of keeping a blog which will be stacked in some corner of the net, and chances of anyone reading it being so slim I could not see them under a microscope.

And the other thing that bugged me a bit was the fact that most of these servers are out there in countries so far away someone could convince me they do not exist. Coming from Africa, southern Africa, in Zimbabwe, who knows how many servers, and proxies, and firewalls my stuff is exposed to before it reaches some servers most likely in the States? And well, when it finally gets there, who guarantees me that none of those proxies or firewalls will not deny me access to that which I put there yesterday, and that which others put there as well? Who guarantees I wont wake up in the morning and overnight I've been enclosed is some great firewall (like china's firewall) and all I can browse are servers in Africa?

But then again hey, my emails are out there as well, though I have the others in here, but still those out there are as exposed as this blog I've finally started. So if I lose them all, or if I stop blogging here anymore, remember me as the guy who left his stuff outside and got locked inside.

Talking about remembering me, the other reason I feel funny doing this blogging thing is that, everyone writes as if they know you'll read, as if they think they've got some level of importance that will get people wanting to know them. I might be doing the same thing here, forgive me, thats just how its done.

Phew, I'm getting tired now, plus I'm not used to writting in propercase, I normally write everything in lowercase, but I tried to be neat for once. If my english is bad, please forgive me, its a second language, I could write in shona my proper language but eh, you would have not been able to get this far!

So welcome to my blog, I'm Manulite.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Manulite,

I have been going through your blog and am absolutely amazed by how you write and what you have to say.
I work for a french magazine -Paris Match- and we're currently doing an article on what Zimbabwe really is, behind all of the numbers and politicians. We want the people to see that there is more to this conflict than shootings and speeches making the front page worldwide. We're looking for true facts, facts on everyday life and what reality looks like.
The last post in here dates from 2006, so I don't know if you're still checking in on here but in case you do, I would really appreciate you sending me an e-mail at this adress: jonz1@hotmail.fr , even if it is only to tell us you're not interested.
Hoping that this comment (indeed, I couldn't find your own email) finds you well,

A. Blackburn

Popular posts from this blog

A New day in the life of a Zimbabwean

Yesterday I caught a cold and today I woke up with a cramp; it isn't very comfortable sleeping at a friend's couch with one blanket in this cold winter. Of course you might already be asking why I'm sleeping on a couch, well, the thing is, this is not my house and it is crowded as it is. So maybe again you ask why I'm not sleeping in my own house? Good Question! See my cottage was demolished by Operation Murambatsvina (Operation 'we don't want dirt')on Thursday last week, so I had to move in with a friend since I had nowhere else to go. At least I didn't have to do the urban-to-rural migration that most peeps who have been hit by the tsunami (which is what we now call the Operation Murambatsvina these days) . Not that its a major benefit that I'm still living in the 'bright lights'. Only the day before yesterday we had no electricity at night, I don't know whether this is one of those rationing cut-offs or someone at the power company fo

Street friend

I consider Simon as my friend. We sort of hang out together each time we bump into each other in town. He's much shorter than me, which of course is explained by the fact that he's much much younger than me. We both live in Zimbabwe so that gives us a lot in common. But Simon practically survives on the streets. Though he doesn't necessarily sleep on the street at night, his life is a life lived on the pavements of Harare's central business district. The last time I met him, which is now a while ago, he wanted some money to buy a school trousers. Simon and I go back together a number of years. He was not yet of school going age when we met. Now he's grade 3 or 4. So hows life for Simon like? Each time I think about it, I cannot even start to image how it must be for him. He once narrated (still with all the childhood innocence) to me how he got arrested during the days of the clean-up operation. He told me how he had to sneak out and run when he got a chance. That

Hundrend Thousand Dollar Bread

Several times when someone discovers I'm from Zimbabwe, I immediately get questions like, “So, how are you surviving?”, “So, how's Zimbabwe these days?”. How's Zimbabwe? If you are hopeful, your answer to that question, ranges between, “Not so good.” and “Don't ask.”. The price of bread is up again from about $60,000 to at least $88,000, which is not news anymore. I remember a time long ago when bread was 75c, our parents were already not too happy about that price. I remember the discussions in the streets, people reminiscing on the old days, telling us how so cheap bread was back then. Then bread went up to 99c, I remember the boycotts, the complaints people saying we can't get only 1c as change from a dollar after buying bread. I remember it going up again to $1,50. Those were the days I learnt about strikes, demonstrations and all that people do to let it known that they are not happy about the way things are. Where's this country going, people would ask. Th